The lockdown blog: day 3

 And on the third day she wrote again...

Once again I have food and coffee to report of. A date was arranged and we met outside Jolin's Vietnamese coffee house on Clanbrassil street near Portobello. How is it that I have been separated from my dearest Vietnam, *sigh-gon,  for a year and a half yet have only just visited this glory, complete with a bona fide Vietnamese owner, originally from Saigon? I guess, as they say, it takes a lockdown to 'get in touch' with your locality. I ordered the 'classic' Vietnamese coffee. It was not the classic however as I decided that I could not brave the iced version-- my fingers would probably provide that touch anyway. Cycling over to this joint (definite 'food blogger' credentials for using that word) I had been rehearsing how to order it in Vietnamese..."Cho em mot chai bia?" No, not beer--coffee.."cho em mot cà phê " brilliant. I'm a local. 

In the end, seeing the menu entirely in English and not wanting to be the 'white girl back from gap yah and thinks she's an anthropologist' I decided to stick to my own tongue in order to save embarrassment. The cà phê was hot and sweet, filled with condensed milk. Nostalgia in a cup. The perfect accompaniment for canal side strolls and swan watching. I do believe swans are loving the extra attention afforded to them these days. Gliding along the Grand like catwalk models preening and stretching their necks. Probably similar enough lengths. 

I read my 'pattern' again today (my sister would be so proud) and it tells me that "If something doesn't excite you, that's a clear sign to move on because it's not for you". I fear this has confirmed my worst fear about horoscopes, that they tell me nothing I don't already know and state the bleedin' obvious. Excitement? It's my middle name...*flicks out cigarette, turns on heel and sashays away* but just tell me this: how do I get the recommended dosage when locked in, isolated and restricted to move no more than five kilometers from the gaff? 

xoxo Stay local 

Comments

  1. Atmospheric - please keep
    Writing and making me 😀

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reckon visiting a Vietnamese is pretty exciting in my book...they don't make 'em down here! A walk is as good as it gets 🤣

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi I am a model and your sister. Everything you say is true.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A- DELT-ery

The final countdown

The lockdown blog: day 1

Miss Saigon

Sabah, Borneo

The lockdown blog: day 4

The lockdown blog: day 2

There is a 2nd time for everything...

The lockdown blog: cohabitation edition 1